Digital abuse is becoming an increasingly large problem. In this episode, Adam Dodge joins me for a discussion about the ways in which current or former partners may be misusing the internet and tech to harm individuals in unhealthy and abusive relationships.
Adam is a licensed attorney whose work is characterized by his dedication to preventing and addressing the ways adults and children are harmed online and via their devices. He is the founder of EndTAB and is an internationally recognized digital safety expert who believes you do not have to be a tech expert to stay safe in the digital age.
Together we discuss all things digital safety, autonomy, and abuse. Adam shines a light on unauthorized account access, digital gaslighting, and tracking devices. This episode is a reminder that you can prevent the violation of your digital safety, often more easily than you think. Online abuse is deeply traumatic and harmful. You deserve to be safe in your relationships, whether you are offline or online.
- How technology is used as a tactic in abuse (4:53)
- Unauthorized account access: personal autonomy includes consent to your accounts, technology, and apps (6:01)
- What you need to know about password safety and other steps to take in order to protect your online accounts (9:19)
- Dealing with harassment on social media, why blocking someone could have unintended consequences, and why you might want to mute/restrict instead (17:03)
- Adam answers the question, “Can my Amazon Echo be used for eavesdropping?” (25:39)
- How to figure out if you have a spy device in your home (26:38)
- Everything you need to know about stalkerware (39:10)
- Can your ex mirror your computer or device and see everything you are inputting? (34:28)
- Adam tells us about Smartphone air tags which are being used as a tracking device (41:19)
Learn more about Adam Dodge:
The founder of EndTAB, Adam is an internationally recognized digital safety expert who believes you do not have to be a tech expert to stay safe in the digital age. His work is characterized by his dedication to preventing and addressing the ways adults and children are harmed online and via their devices. He has written and presented extensively on digital safety, online abuse prevention, technology-enabled abuse, and co-authored the first safety advisory on the emerging threat of ‘deepfakes.’
A frequent speaker and lecturer at universities and national conferences, Adam is also a special advisor to the Coalition Against Stalkerware and sits on the World Economic Forum’s Digital Justice Advisory Committee. His work and expertise has been featured on CBS and in Vogue, the MIT Technology Review, Washington Post, NBC News, the Verge, Mashable, Wall Street Journal, SELF Magazine, Los Angeles Times, GQ, HuffPost and others. Adam is a licensed attorney in California and prior to founding EndTAB, he spent 9 years leading the legal department at Southern California Domestic Violence Nonprofit. He earned his B.A. from UC Santa Barbara and his J.D. by way of McGeorge School of Law and Hastings College of the Law.
Resources & Links:
All New Should I Stay or Should I Go? program
Adam on Instagram
Adam on Twitter
Adam on LinkedIn
Consumer Reports security planner
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
THE DIVORCE SURVIVAL PROGRAM
As one of the pioneers of the divorce coaching industry, I’ve been helping women (most of whom are moms) navigate the divorce process for the last decade.
AND NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, ALL OF MY DIVORCE WISDOM IS AVAILABLE IN ONE ONLINE PROGRAM.
This program is 100% for you if…
- You’re a mom looking for a clear roadmap to a divorce that won’t destroy your kids
- You’re looking for answers and a roadmap
- You understand that divorce is a long game
- You’re willing to put away your boxing gloves
- You want this to be a respectful and collaborative process in service of your kids
- You understand that divorce is, first and foremost, an emotional process and you’re ready to ‘go there’
Are you ready to learn from one of the world’s top divorce experts and set yourself on the path towards the best possible outcome?