January 13th, 2022
Episode 151: Healing Through Divorce with Dr. Elizabeth Cohen, PhD
There is no one better to talk about the healing process of divorce than Dr. Elizabeth Cohen, aka the Divorce Doctor. She is a clinical psychologist, the author of Light at The Other Side of Divorce: Discovering the New You, and a true expert on the topic of how to heal and thrive during divorce.
The last time Elizabeth joined me on the show, we discussed the importance of processing your emotions. This time we dig even deeper and talk about how healing is a slow, steady, and often imperfect process. We also explore how to become the most loving ally to yourself.
Don’t forget, next week I’m doing a three-part workshop in my Facebook group entitled: So You’ve Decided to Get a Divorce: WHAT NOW? The vital steps you need to take to move forward with confidence and clarity. RSVP to the invite here. Don’t miss out! (Available only to members of the SISOSIG Community)
- No matter what you’re feeling now, you have the ability to move through difficult times and actually heal. (7:28)
- Healing is a slow, steady process where you take micro-moments towards change. (12:22)
- We discuss the first steps to identifying and working through your emotions. (14:48)
- Loving yourself again means realizing that you and your needs matter. (24:31)
- If self-love is a hard concept at the moment, think of it as moving from self-loathing to a feeling of neutrality with yourself. (26:56)
- Toxic environments require you to shut down your feelings. It is not your fault. (30:55)
- Tools to continue to heal through divorce, including the “Sacred Pause” or writing yourself a love letter. (31:28)
Learn more about Dr. Cohen:
Dr. Cohen, a clinical psychologist, is the author of, Light at The Other Side of Divorce: Discovering the New You which debuted at #1 on Amazon in popular psychology.
She is the CEO and founder of the online divorce course and membership Afterglow: The Light at the Other Side of Divorce. Dr. Cohen is the CEO of the Center for CBT in NYC. Dr. Cohen’s online course teaches women how to heal, grow and thrive after divorce no matter how difficult the process has been.
Dr. Cohen received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Boston University. She was the recipient of the prestigious American Psychological Foundation Research Award for her research on the emotional effects of 9/11.
She has been featured on the Tamron Hall Show, the Wall Street Journal, NBC News, Women’s Health, Huff Post, Thrive Global, Daily Beast, and Good Housekeeping.
Dr. Cohen is a weekly contributor to Psychology Today with her “Divorce Course” column.
Dr. Cohen’s Divorce Doctor podcast which shares people’s divorce stories hit 10,000 downloads in only 3 months.
Resources & Links:
Join Kate’s Free Live Workshop on January 17, 18, and 19th. All you have to do is be in her Facebook
Dr. Cohen’s book
Dr. Cohen’s website
Dr. Cohen on Facebook
Dr. Cohen on Instagram
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO?