January 6th, 2022
Earlier this week on The Divorce and Beyond Podcast with Susan Guthrie, she and I spoke about how to have the most difficult conversation of your life with someone: the “I want a divorce,” conversation. Today, Susan joins me to discuss what happens next. Together we explore some of the things you should do right after having the talk, including how to build your divorce team and considerations for divorce proceedings or mediation.
Susan Guthrie is nationally recognized as one of the Top Family Law and Mediation Attorneys in the country. She has been helping individuals and families navigate separation and divorce for 30 years. Susan provides online divorce mediation and legal coaching services to select clients around the world. If you missed part one of our conversation, visit Susan’s website to listen!
– – – – –
Also: I want to hear your story and answer your questions! My work and my podcast are all about bringing you the most and best information possible on the subjects of divorce, escaping and healing from abuse, creating healthy boundaries and relationships, and helping you make the most informed decision on whether to stay or go. So, what questions do you have about divorce, or deciding to stay or go? Leave me a message, it can be anonymous, that I’ll play on the air, and I’ll answer your question on an upcoming episode.
- Why is January “divorce month”? (11:20)
- What is the first thing you should do after you share with your spouse that you want a divorce? (14:50)
- The biggest fallacy in the divorce process is that building a good team is going to cost you more money. (16:08)
- If the end goal is that you want to mediate, what is the correct path? (23:26)
- The key to collaborative or mediated divorce is working together. (28:33)
- Some approaches to divorce mediation and building a mediation team. (34:06)
- When you rush into your divorce and the emotions are high, you make your divorce take longer. (43:21)
- A reasonable expectation of a timeline for your divorce. (46:36)
Learn More About Susan:
Susan Guthrie, nationally recognized as one of the Top Family Law and Mediation Attorneys in the country, has been helping individuals and families navigate separation and divorce for 30 years. Susan provides online divorce mediation and legal coaching services to select clients around the world. As a leading dispute resolution professional, Susan is honored to serve on the Executive Council of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Section of Dispute Resolution as the Membership Officer and to be a Co-Chair of the Mediation Committee.
After a year and half of co-hosting the award-winning podcast, Breaking Free: A Modern Divorce Podcast, which reached over 3 million listeners, Susan recently launched her fresh and inspiring new podcast, The Divorce and Beyond Podcast with Susan Guthrie, Esq. which debuted on iTunes “Top Podcasts” List for self-help podcasts. Divorce & Beyond is focused on pulling back the curtain on the mysteries of the divorce process and bringing tips and resources to help people to thrive and shine in their new future beyond divorce.
Susan has been featured in and on media outlets such as CNBC, Market Watch, News Nation, Forbes, the ABA’s Just Resolutions Magazine, Thrive Global, Medium, and many more.
She is licensed to practice law in the States of California and Connecticut as well as before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Resources & Links:
Send Kate your questions or share your story, here.
Join Kate’s Free Live Workshop on January 17, 18, and 19th. All you have to do is be in her Facebook Group to participate.
Private Coaching with Kate Anthony
Susan on Instagram
The Divorce and Beyond Podcast:
WE NEED TO TALK: How to Have the Most Difficult Conversation of Your Life with Kate Anthony
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
THE DIVORCE SURVIVAL PROGRAM
As one of the pioneers of the divorce coaching industry, I’ve been helping women (most of whom are moms) navigate the divorce process for the last decade.
AND NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, ALL OF MY DIVORCE WISDOM IS AVAILABLE IN ONE ONLINE PROGRAM.
This program is 100% for you if…
- You’re a mom looking for a clear roadmap to a divorce that won’t destroy your kids
- You’re looking for answers and a roadmap
- You understand that divorce is a long game
- You’re willing to put away your boxing gloves
- You want this to be a respectful and collaborative process in service of your kids
- You understand that divorce is, first and foremost, an emotional process and you’re ready to ‘go there’