June 2nd, 2022
I am incredibly honored to have Lundy Bancroft on the show with me to talk about what life is like after domestic abuse, post-separation abuse, and healing from trauma.
Lundy Bancroft is the author of five books in the field, including the national prize-winner The Batterer as Parent, Why Does He Do That?, When Dad Hurts Mom, Daily Wisdom and Should I Stay Or Should I Go? He has worked with over a thousand abusers directly as an intervention counselor, and has served as clinical supervisor on another thousand cases
- Acknowledging that you do have a right to be heard about the injustice that was done. But do it in a way that is not hurting you (8:20)
- What to do when you get in a custody dispute with your abuser, why you need an attorney who understands divorcing an abuser, as well as, what to know if you represent yourself (10:51)
- The myth that a man can abuse a child’s mother and still be a great dad. It’s impossible. The single best predictor of how a man will treat their children is how they treat their child’s mother (28:34)
- How a woman can increase her chance of a favorable divorce outcome (34:05)
- Social change and what is really needed to reform the family court system (45:14)
- How the fathers’ rights movement is an abusers’ movement and what we can do in the face of it (50:37)
Learn more about Lundy Bancroft:
Lundy Bancroft is the author of five books in the field, including the national prize-winner The Batterer as Parent, Why Does He Do That?, When Dad Hurts Mom, Daily Wisdom, and Should I Stay Or Should I Go? He has worked with over a thousand abusers directly as an intervention counselor and has served as a clinical supervisor on another thousand cases. He has also served extensively as a custody evaluator, child abuse investigator, and expert witness in domestic violence and child abuse cases. Lundy appears across the United States as a presenter for judges and other court personnel, child protective workers, therapists, law enforcement officials, and other audiences.
Resources & Links:
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
THE REVISED SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO? PROGRAM