Today we’re talking about boundaries with my good friend, Amy E. Smith. If you have a history of constantly putting everybody first, giving in, or not speaking up when something is bothersome to you, then you, my love, need to set some boundaries. In this episode, Amy shares her three-step process for boundary setting, shares some thought-provoking lessons like, “You are not responsible for other people’s reactions to your boundaries,” and talks about how to stand up for yourself without being a dick.
Amy is a certified and credentialed life coach and hypnotherapist, masterful speaker, and personal empowerment expert. Founder of TheJoyJunkie.com, Amy uses her roles as coach, writer, podcaster, and speaker to move individuals to a place of radical personal empowerment and self-worth.
When you learn how to set boundaries and speak up for yourself you can even ask for a divorce with the utmost grace and kindness. Calmly and assertively. Yes, you have the freedom to choose a different approach.
- How to speak up for yourself! (2:48)
- Boundary remorse, plus we’re told disproportionately, as women, “Don’t rock the boat, sweep it under the rug.” (7:18)
- Boundaries and speaking up for yourself don’t involve an ultimatum. (13:30)
- If you want to be heard and understood, you have to deliver your request in a way in which people can hear you. (16:40)
- The biggest boundary anyone can ever set is to say, “I don’t want to be married to you anymore.” (17:40)
- You are responsible for your intention, not your reception. (18:14)
- Change your perspective on what equals success: Success is being proud of the woman you were when you delivered the boundary or information. (36:40)
- Not sure which boundaries you need to set? Create an inventory of the things you constantly complain about. (37:52)
- If you are afraid about hurting someone’s feelings when having hard conversations, then share that fear and express your vulnerability. (41:55)
- Amy’s three-step process to creating boundaries. (43:43)
Learn More About Amy:
Amy E. Smith is a certified and credentialed life coach and hypnotherapist, masterful speaker, and personal empowerment expert. Owner and founder of Joy Junkie Enterprises, Amy uses her roles as coach, writer, podcaster, and speaker to move individuals beyond limiting beliefs and sabotaging mindsets to a place of radical personal empowerment and self-worth.
With acute focus on helping people “find their voice”, Amy uses her popular weekly podcast, The Joy Junkie Show, to address issues of worthiness, self-confidence, and letting go of people-pleasing to assist listeners in creating and living radically joyful lives. Amy has been instrumental in aiding hundreds of women in stepping into their authentic power and crafting lives they desire. She is highly sought after for her uncommon style of irreverence, wisdom, and humor and has been a featured expert in Inspired Coach Magazine and on Fox 5 San Diego.
Start stalking Amy at www.TheJoyJunkie.com and grab a free copy of her eWorkbook/Audiobook, Stand Up for Yourself Without Being a Dick: 9 Proven Challenges to Radically Improve Your Self-Confidence and Self-Worth.
Resources & Links:
The Joy Junkie Podcast
Grab Amy’s free workbook “How to Speak Up For Yourself Without Being a Dick”
Amy on Instagram
Amy on Twitter
Amy on Facebook