October 28th, 2021
This is the last week of domestic violence awareness month, so I wanted to explore the topic of narcissistic trauma and recovery. Caroline Strawson helps us understand the complexities of narcissistic trauma and the healing journey that is necessary for those of us who have suffered from it.
Caroline Strawson is a multi award winning narcissistic trauma informed therapist and coach and best selling author of Divorce Became My Superpower. She has completely transformed her life from being at rock bottom after her divorce to a narcissist; and now works on helping others process the trauma of narcissistic abuse for post traumatic growth.
- Caroline shares her story of divorce from a narcissist and her transformation. (7:45)
- The narcissist is the abuser. Trauma is what you hold in your body about the narcissist. (15:20)
- You can’t change the abuse, but you can change your experience and what you say to yourself about the abuse. That’s the key element to healing. (18:29)
- Caroline explains the traffic lights of tolerance analogy and how it ties to our normal nervous system response to trauma or abuse. (20:01)
- The root of codependency and narcissism is trauma. (27:56)
- How to support a friend or loved one as they heal from narcissistic trauma. (38:07)
- The three stages for healing from narcissistic trauma. (42:25)
- Why Caroline says you can’t co-parent with a narcissist. Instead, she says choose parallel parenting. (44:41)
Learn More About Caroline:
Caroline Strawson is a multi award winning Trauma Informed therapist and coach, #1 best selling
author and #1 iTunes rated podcast, The Narcissistic Trauma Recovery Podcast. She specialises in helping heal the trauma of narcissistic abuse at a deep nervous system level. She uses a unique integration of therapy and coaching including EMDR, Brainspotting, RTT, Breath work, Internal Family Systems and positive psychology. She was diagnosed with complex PTSD, depression, anxiety and self harm in 2011
and was in over $100,000 debt and had her home repossessed after a narcissistic marriage. She
has now helped thousands of women globally with her Narcissistic Trauma Recovery Programme and her Narcissistic Trauma Unlocking Method™.
She has appeared in national newspapers, magazines, television and BBC Radio to give hope to
others and lift the guilt and shame associated with the trauma of narcissistic abuse.
Resources & Links:
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
THE DIVORCE SURVIVAL PROGRAM
As one of the pioneers of the divorce coaching industry, I’ve been helping women (most of whom are moms) navigate the divorce process for the last decade.
AND NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, ALL OF MY DIVORCE WISDOM IS AVAILABLE IN ONE ONLINE PROGRAM.
This program is 100% for you if…
- You’re a mom looking for a clear roadmap to a divorce that won’t destroy your kids
- You’re looking for answers and a roadmap
- You understand that divorce is a long game
- You’re willing to put away your boxing gloves
- You want this to be a respectful and collaborative process in service of your kids
- You understand that divorce is, first and foremost, an emotional process and you’re ready to ‘go there’