April 15th, 2021
Dr. Elizabeth Cohen is CEO and Founder of the online divorce course and membership, Afterglow: the Light on The Other Side of Divorce. She is also the author of the book, “Light on the Other Side of Divorce: Discovering the New You,” which is a phenomenal book about how to grow and thrive after divorce.
She joins me this week to discuss aspects of her book, including the need for processing your emotions. Because, love, you need to allow yourself to feel. We also talk about how divorce is trauma. As Dr. Cohen so eloquently stated, “We hold trauma in our body and divorce is a trauma. We need to allow the movement of this energy, this fight response through us. We need to in order to be a better parent, to be a better partner, to whoever we work with, to be a better citizen in this world.”
- Challenging assumptions about divorce, because even in 2021, there is still a stigma about it. (6:08)
- You have every reason to feel ALL of your feelings. (16:18)
- So, what are some ways you can express anger? Dr. Cohen shares some ideas. (17:26)
- Divorce, trauma, and how it affects your entire body. (22:41)
- How self-doubt, inner-critic, and dissociation all make it hard to decide whether you should stay or you should go. (27:53)
- There’s no wrong way to go through this process. If you’re working with someone and they’re telling you; there’s a right way and a wrong way, then they’re not your person. (29:43)
- Dr. Cohen shares about her relationship pattern excavator. (31:20)
- Working through the grief and loss of your marriage is a process. “It’s unpeeling and dealing with the loss over time.” (36:00)
Learn More About Dr. Cohen:
Dr. Cohen is a clinical psychologist. She is the CEO and founder of the online divorce course and membership Afterglow: The Light at the Other Side of Divorce and the CEO of the Center for CBT in NYC. Dr. Cohen’s online course teaches women how to heal, grow and thrive after divorce no matter how difficult the process has been. Dr. Cohen offers a monthly membership program to provide 1:1 coaching, expert support from divorce professionals, and an engaged community of like-minded people. Dr. Cohen received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Boston University. She was the recipient of the prestigious American Psychological Foundation Research Award for her research on the emotional effects of 9/11. She has been featured on the Tamron Hall Show, the Wall Street Journal, NBC News, Women’s Health, Huff Post, Thrive Global, Daily Beast, and Good Housekeeping. Dr. Cohen is a weekly contributor to Psychology Today with her “Divorce Course” column. Dr. Cohen hosts the Divorce Doctor podcast where she interviews people about their divorce experiences. Dr. Cohen’s book based on her Afterglow program entitled, Light at The Other Side of Divorce: Discovering the New You will be published in April 2021.
Resources & Links:
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
Proof. Protection. Peace of Mind.
The Soberlink remote alcohol monitoring system consists of a portable breathalyzer with wireless technology for real-time results. With proven use as the leading choice in child custody cases since 2011, we are the only system that combines:
Court-admissibility in all 50 states
- Facial recognition
- Tamper detection
- Easy-to-read Advanced Reporting™
Trust the Experts in Remote Alcohol Monitoring Technology™ to support the best interests of the child in your Family Law cases.