September 8th, 2022
This week we are talking about the legal aspect of high conflict divorce. When it comes to divorce, what most talk about from a legal sense isn’t applicable to those navigating a divorce with an abuser or high-conflict person. That’s why I asked my good friend, Susan Guthrie, Esq., to come back to the show and share what she knows about legal issues surrounding high-conflict situations.
Divorce is hard, divorce with a high conflict person is a completely different ball game. Listen to this episode to hear how to maneuver the legal system when divorcing an abusive or high-conflict spouse.
- The tools do not exist in the legal system to change the behavior of a high-conflict person, but there are resources available that can help you protect yourself (6:09)
- High conflict people are unmanageable (11:37)
- Susan answers, “Can you mediate with someone who is actively lying and/or hiding assets?” (14:28)
- Why Susan says a consulting attorney is a necessity for the mediation process (19:01)
- When you are mediating or litigating with a high-conflict person, you move in small, purposeful steps (23:35)
- How to cope when an ex-spouse backs out of mediation at the last minute. Plus, what you can do from a legal perspective (33:48)
Learn more about Susan:
Susan Guthrie, nationally recognized as one of the Top Family Law Attorneys and Mediators in the country, has been helping individuals and families navigate separation and divorce for more than 30 years. Susan provides online divorce and legal coaching services to select clients around the world. As a leading dispute resolution professional, Susan is honored to serve on the Executive Council of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Section of Dispute Resolution as the Budget Officer and to be a Co-Chair of the Advanced Mediation Institute.
In 2021 Susan launched her fresh and inspiring podcast, The Divorce & Beyond Podcast with Susan Guthrie, Esq. which debuted on iTunes “Top Podcasts” List for self-help podcasts and which is one of the Top 1.5 % of All Podcasts worldwide! Divorce & Beyond is focused on pulling back the curtain on the mysteries of the divorce process and bringing tips and resources to help people to thrive and shine in their new future beyond divorce.
Susan has been featured in and on media outlets such as CNBC, Market Watch, News Nation, Forbes, the ABA’s Just Resolutions Magazine, Thrive Global, Medium, and many more.
She is licensed to practice law in the States of California and Connecticut as well as before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Resources & Links:
Grit and Grace Group Coaching starts on September 15th – Join us!
Mosten Guthrie Academy
BIFF: Quick Responses to High-Conflict People
DSG Abuse Mini-Series: How to Communicate with a High-Conflict Co-Parent with Bill Eddy
Get Ready to BIFF Your High Conflict Ex with Bill Eddy on Divorce & Beyond
The Incredible Tale of One Mom’s Successful 10-Year Battle to Be Free of a Narcissist with Tina Swithin on Divorce & Beyond
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
THE REVISED SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO? PROGRAM