October 26th, 2023
Today, we are tackling the daunting barriers that often prevent people from taking the first steps in the divorce process. Heather MacKenzie, President and Chief Content Officer of Hello Divorce joins me for a conversation about the complexities of divorce, including the paperwork, timelines, and policies that vary from state to state.
This episode equips you with the knowledge and courage to embrace divorce as an opportunity for personal growth, preparing you to emerge from the process lighter and ready to start a new, fulfilling chapter in your life.
Featured topics include:
- Navigating divorce paperwork, timelines, and legal protocols in divorce (5:51)
- Commonalities and roadblocks in divorce procedures across states (6:15)
- When skipping financial disclosures becomes a consideration (7:14)
- The empowering role of a certified divorce financial analyst (CDFA) in your divorce journey (11:38)
- Busting the myth: lawyers and their expertise in financial matters (16:15)
- Embracing the duration: recognizing that divorce is a journey, not a sprint (20:42)
- Transitioning from an entitlement mindset to clarity about personal desires (22:37)
- Serving your spouse with a divorce petition (25:46)
- Leveraging the marital settlement agreement as a valuable resolution tool (35:01)
Learn more about Heather MacKenzie:
Heather joined Hello Divorce two months into a planned year-long vacation from the start-up world because she was convinced that the legal world is one of the only things left that truly needed disrupting. Since her expertise (obsession) is making complex, frustrating processes easier – and even enjoyable – for consumers, Heather has taken the lead of the product, customer service, marketing, and content teams to not only cover every touch point consumers have with the company but to create true economies of scale.
At Hello Divorce, Heather relentlessly pursues the goal of gaining and keeping consumer trust. In her first year alone, she led the complete digital transformation of the site, implemented scale through technology and systems across teams, added new products and services that extended the company’s reach, and transformed the approach of not only the legal product but the huge amount of consumer content Hello Divorce provides to users.
Heather holds a B.A. in History and American Studies from the University of Notre Dame and a M.S. in Digital Media from Northwestern University. In 2017, she was chosen to be a member of the prestigious Council of 100 for executive leadership at Northwestern, where she helps with the philanthropy of the school through mentorship and growth for future women leaders.
Resources & Links:
Listeners, get $25 off software to generate a Marital Settlement Agreement (regular cost $100) – Use code SURVIVE25 when checking out.
Get Your Curated Podcast Playlist!
Answer four easy questions and you’ll get a curated list of podcast episodes to best support you as you navigate these tricky waters.
I’ll also help you identify where you currently stand on this journey, and what’s ahead, with resources to help you move through this process with knowledge and grace.
DISCLAIMER: THE COMMENTARY AND OPINIONS AVAILABLE ON THIS PODCAST ARE FOR INFORMATIONAL AND ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY AND NOT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING LEGAL OR PSYCHOLOGICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD CONTACT AN ATTORNEY, COACH, OR THERAPIST IN YOUR STATE TO OBTAIN ADVICE WITH RESPECT TO ANY PARTICULAR ISSUE OR PROBLEM.