August 17th, 2023
I am incredibly honored to be joined by Dr. Emma Katz this week on the podcast. Dr. Katz is a world-leading expert on coercive control. She is the author of Coercive Control in Children’s and Mothers’ Lives. She is an award-winning expert in domestic abuse and coercive control whose work has influenced policy and professional practice in the UK and globally. During our conversation, we discuss how to know if you are a victim of coercive control, the common forms of post-separation abuse, and understanding the orange, red, and green flag behaviors in relationships.
Dr. Emma Katz is an amazing source of information on coercive control. Our conversation aims to help you break free from coercive control, establish a realistic lens of what is happening, and plan how to move forward.
Featured topics include:
- What we mean when we talk about coercive control (4:14)
- How to know if you are being coercively controlled (6:46)
- Why Dr. Katz says coercive control is a global health crisis (8:49)
- Coercive control can happen to anyone, and women are often disproportionately the victims/survivors of it (17:46)
- The orange/red/green flag behaviors of relationships (27:26)
- “The person you fell in love with was not real. The sooner you come to understand that, the better. You can then begin to take back your power.” (33:28)
- The five most common forms of post-separation abuse (46:59)
- The difficulties of criminalization of coercive control (50:28)
Learn more about Dr. Emma Katz
Dr. Emma Katz is Associate Professor at Durham University. She is an award-winning expert in domestic abuse and coercive control whose work has influenced policy and professional practice in the UK and globally.
Dr. Katz’s book, Coercive Control in Children’s and Mothers’ Lives (published in 2022 by Oxford University Press), is described by Professor Evan Stark as a ‘pioneering work that will change how we understand and respond to children’s experience of domestic abuse.’
Follow Dr. Katz on Substack to receive her popular blog Decoding Coercive Control with Dr. Emma Katz.
Resources & Links:
Pre-order Kate’s book “The D Word”
Dr. Katz’s website
Dr. Katz’s Substack “Decoding Coercive Control”
Dr. Katz on Instagram
Dr. Katz on LinkedIn
Dr. Katz on Facebook
Dr. Katz on YouTube
Dr. Katz’s Research Publications
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
Proof. Protection. Peace of Mind.
The Soberlink remote alcohol monitoring system comprises a portable breathalyzer with wireless technology for real-time results. With proven use as the leading choice in child custody cases since 2011, we are the only system that combines:
- Court admissibility in all 50 states
- Facial recognition
- Tamper detection
- Easy-to-read Advanced Reporting™
Trust the Experts in Remote Alcohol Monitoring Technology™ to support the best interests of the child in your Family Law cases.