April 20th, 2023
How will your choices about divorce affect your children now and in the future? The creator of the films Split and Split UP: The TEEN Years, Ellen Bruno, says, “The connection between how parents frame the changing family, separation, and divorce profoundly impacts kids.” Split UP: The TEEN Years documents the experiences of teenagers with divorce. Christina McGhee and Ellen Bruno join me in this episode to discuss this new film and share their insights and takeaways for parents and children.
Split UP: The TEEN Years is comforting, poignant, and deep. The children in these films are the best teachers. They provide the opportunity to see how families experience divorce and its impact on children.
Featured topics include:
- The impetus for creating the films Split and Split UP: The TEEN Years (6:27)
- How the movie gives parents an unfiltered look into how this experience feels for children (10:58)
- The choices you make in your divorce now impact children for the rest of their lives (11:45)
- The greatest gift we can give our children is to rise up, take the high road, and keep them at the center of the divorce (14:37)
- When the family begins to change, it is important to remind kids that “They are wanted, they are loved, and this is not their fault.” (33:34)
Join us for a special Split UP: The TEEN Years screening event on Friday, May 12th! To secure your spot and get all the details, visit http://kateanthony.com/split.
Learn more about Christina McGhee and Ellen Bruno:
Christina McGhee, MSW, is an internationally recognized divorce parenting expert, speaker, and author of the critically acclaimed book PARENTING APART: How separated and divorced parents can raise happy and secure kids and the founder of divorceandchildren.com.
Ellen Bruno is an award-winning documentary filmmaker based in San Francisco. With a background in international relief work, Ellen’s films have focused on issues at the forefront of human rights.
Resources & Links:
Download The Divorce Survival Guide Podcast Curated Podcast Playlist
Should I Stay or Should I Go Program – Special Offer! Get $50 off the program, plus a ticket to Split UP: The TEEN Years screening event! Offer available until April 24th. Visit kateanthony.com/kids for details.
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
Cozy Earth is the world’s foremost source of high-quality, authentic bamboo viscose bed linens. Listeners can enjoy this exclusive offer from Cozy Earth today: Receive 35% off site-wide when you use the code “DSG” at CozyEarth.com! Thanks to our sponsor, Cozy Earth, and thank you, listeners, for supporting this show!