May 27th, 2021
Episode 120: Busting Divorce Myths with Eric Broder
This week I am busting divorce myths with my guest, Eric Broder. Eric is a divorce and family attorney, and co-founding member and partner at Broder Orland Murray &DeMattie LLC. In this episode, Eric and I bust myths about no-fault law, modern parenting agreements, assets, and whether or not getting a job will impact your divorce settlement. That’s just some of what we discuss — we cover a lot of ground!
When it comes to divorce advice, everyone has an opinion. In fact, there may be things you have heard or even believed about divorce that aren’t actually true. One of the biggest lessons we uncover in this episode is this: “Don’t get your divorce advice from cocktail talk. Instead, consult with an attorney.”
But first, listen to this podcast episode!!
- We get right to it and begin busting myths about alimony. (3:47)
- The importance of consulting with an attorney within your state. (6:28)
- Myths surrounding no-fault law. For example, fault in some states can matter. (6:57)
- For stay at home moms, will getting a job prior to divorce impact your settlement? Eric shares his thoughts. (13:43)
- Eric answers, “Are assets always divided equally?” (17:49)
- Prenups: what people think they are versus what they actually are. (21:01)
- The truth about joint custody, full parenting time, and other parenting plans. (28:52)
- Myths about abandonment of property and moving out prior to divorce. (38:48)
Learn More About Eric:
Eric is a co-founding member and partner at Broder Orland Murray &DeMattie LLC. He is an AV Preeminent™rated attorney by MartindaleHubbell®, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards, earned through a strenuous pier and judicial review procedure. He has also been designated a “Top Lawyer” in Family Law, Matrimonial, Arbitration, and Mediation in Westport, Greenwich, NewCanaan/Darien, and Fairfield Magazines. Eric has been selected as a Connecticut Super Lawyers®in Family Law each year from 2013 to 2020.Each year no more than 5% of the lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor. Eric’s AVVO™rating is 10 out of 10.
Resources & Links:
Eric’s website: Broder Orland Murray &DeMattie LLC
Our Happy Divorce Weekly Live Stream with Ben Heldfond, Kate Anthony, and Susan Guthrie: Every Monday at 5pm ET/2pm PT – Join us!