Dr. Amelia Kelley returns to the show for a deep dive into what it means to be a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP). Dr. Kelley is a trauma-informed therapist. She is a trained Art therapist, HSP Therapist, EMDR-informed therapist, meditation teacher, as well as a Certified Yoga instructor.
This episode is near and dear to my heart because I identify as a Highly Sensitive Person. Once I learned what an HSP is and how it affects the way I see the world around me, it was truly eye-opening! We discuss what being an HSP means, strategies for self-care, and how being an HSP can affect relationships. If you identify as an HSP, think you are one or are married to someone who is – this episode is a must-listen.
“Being a Highly Sensitive Person is not something to be changed or hidden. It is an exceptional quality. It’s a superpower.” Dr. Amelia Kelley
- Highly Sensitive Person (HSP): what is and how it relates to how your brain processes to the world around you. (4:21)
- D.O.E.S: Depth of processing, Overarousal, Emotional Intensity, Sensory Sensitivity. (5:12)
- Are you a Highly Sensitive Person? We discuss the HSP test and various results. (7:28)
- HSPs can also be High sensation-seeking Persons. (8:10)
- The challenges and strengths of being an HSP in a relationship. (13:43)
- Is being an HSP genetic? (21:25)
- Why HSPs get more out of yoga, therapy, or meditation sessions. (23:25)
- The highly reactive state of HSPs – both positive and negative. (24:08)
- We explore some of the ways HSPs may experience divorce. (27:42)
- Dr. Kelley’s top 5 self-care strategies for Highly Sensitive People. (43:21)
- Some ways HSPs can be affected physically, including hypersensitivity to caffeine. (48:22)
Learn more about Dr. Kelley:
Dr. Amelia Kelley is a trauma-informed therapist who has conducted research on the effects of exercise on ADHD symptoms as well as the effects of resiliency on PTSD. She is a trained Hypno-therapist, Art therapist, HSP Therapist, EMDR-informed therapist and meditation and Yoga teacher. She is a presenter and writer in the “science-help” field focusing on relationships, Highly Sensitive Persons, trauma, motivation, healthy living, and adult ADHD. She is a guest podcast presenter focusing on women’s issues and coping with the trauma of unhealthy relationships, as well as a coach and trainer for SAS’s Work/Life Program in Cary, NC and a resident trainer for the NC Art Therapy Institute. Her practice is also currently part of the Traumatic Stress Research Consortium at the Kinsey Institute. www.Ameliakelley.com
Resources & Links:
Submit your questions to me about divorce or whether you should stay or go, here!
Amelia on Instagram
Amelia on Facebook
What I Wish I Knew Book on Facebook
The Highly Sensitive Person, Elaine Aron
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
THE DIVORCE SURVIVAL PROGRAM
As one of the pioneers of the divorce coaching industry, I’ve been helping women (most of whom are moms) navigate the divorce process for the last decade.
AND NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, ALL OF MY DIVORCE WISDOM IS AVAILABLE IN ONE ONLINE PROGRAM.
This program is 100% for you if…
- You’re a mom looking for a clear roadmap to a divorce that won’t destroy your kids
- You’re looking for answers and a roadmap
- You understand that divorce is a long game
- You’re willing to put away your boxing gloves
- You want this to be a respectful and collaborative process in service of your kids
- You understand that divorce is, first and foremost, an emotional process and you’re ready to ‘go there’