November 18th, 2021
Episode 143: How to Cultivate Healthy Relationships with Dr. Akua Boateng
This week I am talking all about healthy relationships with Dr. Akua K. Boateng. Dr. Akua answers the question, “What the hell does a healthy relationship look like?” We explore the mechanics of developing a healthy relationship with Self and also learn the steps to reconnecting with your intuitive guidance.
Dr. Akua K. Boateng is a sought after mental health and relationship expert. With over 14 years experience in clinical practice and education, she specializes in an integrative approach to treating anxiety, trauma, relationship issues and other emotional concerns.
She is the founder & CEO of Boateng Psychotherapy & Consultation, where she counsels individuals and couples as well as partners with organizations in the integration of emotionally aware practices and initiatives. In the media, Dr. Akua has contributed to media outlets such as CNN, The Washington Post, Huff Post, Black Enterprise, Refinery29, Philadelphia Inquirer, Slate Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, and others. Her genuine, empathic voice adds to the growing culture of mental health awareness.
- Reconnecting with your intuition and sense of self; also why you may have lost it in the first place. (8:15)
- You need time, safety, and a safe place to begin to lean towards repair and integration. (16:47)
- Why you can’t heal within an abusive relationship. (17:53)
- What does a healthy relationship even look like? Interdependence. Consistency. It does not look like pain and harm. (22:56)
- The shift in cultural dialogue about mental health within the last five to ten years. (33:35)
- Is the trope, “you can’t love another until you truly love yourself,” true? (36:21)
- Everyone has a blind spot. A healthy partner helps you see your blind spot and approach it with the utmost kindness and compassion. (38:26)
- A therapist’s job during couples therapy. (42:15)
- Sometimes the healthiest place you can be is not together. (45:21)
- Couples should not pursue therapy when active abuse is occurring. (48:17)
- Top conflicts that Dr. Akua sees in her couples work. (48:35)
Learn More About Dr. Boateng:
Dr. Akua K. Boateng, a native of California, is a licensed psychotherapist with an emphasis in individual and couples therapy. With over 13 years of experience in clinical practice and education, she specializes in an integrative approach to treating anxiety, depression, relationship issues, intergenerational trauma and several other emotional concerns.
In 2015, after sharpening her expert approaches for clients with other facilities, Dr. Boateng opened a Philadelphia-based private practice and consultation firm, Boateng Psychotherapy & Consultation. She now works with clients to take ownership of their emotional health, become aware of unhealthy patterns and work toward a more authentic existence. Dr. Boateng is a sought after mental health expert and consultant, partnering with organizations to support the integration of emotionally aware practices and initiatives into their operations.
Resources & Links:
Should I Stay or Should I Go – Money Survey by Kate Anthony and Amanda Steinberg
Dr. Akua’s website
Dr. Akua on Instagram
Dr. Akua on Twitter
Dr. Akua on Facebook
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
Proof. Protection. Peace of Mind.
The Soberlink remote alcohol monitoring system consists of a portable breathalyzer with wireless technology for real-time results. With proven use as the leading choice in child custody cases since 2011, we are the only system that combines:
- Court-admissibility in all 50 states
- Facial recognition
- Tamper detection
- Easy-to-read Advanced Reporting™
Trust the Experts in Remote Alcohol Monitoring Technology™ to support the best interests of the child in your Family Law cases.