August 12th, 2022
This week we’re talking about marital finances, divorce, and how gaining clarity around your finances can help inform your decision about whether you should stay or go. Karen Chellew and Catherine Shanahan, founders of My Divorce Solution, join me to share some of the processes they utilize when working with clients to help them protect and secure their financial future in divorce.
Karen and Catherine combine their legal and financial expertise to provide unparalleled financial clarity and divorce preparation – resulting in easier, faster, and less expensive divorces. Our hope is that through listening to this conversation you will have more power, more knowledge, and clarity about finances and divorce.
“Everybody is entitled to financial clarity.” Catherine Shanahan
“If you decide to stay after working through your marital finances,
you will be a different partner going forward.” Karen Chellew
- My Divorce Solution: what it is and why Karen and Catherine created it (3:51)
- What to say if you are trying to get financial information from a bank or accountant who is refusing to give it without your soon-to-be-ex’s consent (10:06)
- Do you need a CFDA or resource such as My Divorce Solution if your finances are not high-net-worth? The short answer: Yes. (20:37)
- How working with a financial advisor or analyst can help inform your decision about whether or not you should get a divorce (27:31)
- If you are working with a financial analyst, you are not committing to a divorce. You are learning
- What can be the most difficult thing about working through your marital finances? (36:00)
- An important reminder to women about finances and worth: you are worth it! (43:30)
Learn more about Karen Chellew and Catherine Shanahan:
Karen Chellew, Legal Liaison: For over 30 years, Karen has worked in the legal field as a paralegal and business manager. During her career, she served as an affiliated member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and as President-Elect of the ALA (Association of Legal Administrators). Karen now serves clients and the professional team in her role as legal liaison. She is also a certified QDRO Administrator, Founder and President of Sisters U Foundation, and an Auditor of East Rockhill Township. As the mom of three children and two granddaughters, Karen is extremely passionate about helping women in all that she does.
Catherine Shanahan, CDFA: After 25 years in the financial industry, having raised five children and endured her own experience with divorce, Catherine became a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA) and trained mediator. A Professional Daily Money Manager (PDMM), Catherine is also a member of the Bucks County Collaborative Law Group, American Association of Daily Money Managers (AADMM) the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts, and the Association of Divorce Financial Planners (ADFP).
Resources & Links:
My Divorce Solution
My Divorce Solution on Instagram
My Divorce Solution on Twitter
My Divorce Solution on Facebook
My Divorce Solution on LinkedIn
We Chat Divorce by My Divorce Solution on YouTube
We Chat Divorce Podcast
DSG Listeners – Get 30 Days Free on My Divorce Solution’s Online Divorce Course
Get a free quote for your financial portrait from My Divorce Solution
TODAY’S EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
Proof. Protection. Peace of Mind.
The Soberlink remote alcohol monitoring system consists of a portable breathalyzer with wireless technology for real-time results. With proven use as the leading choice in child custody cases since 2011, we are the only system that combines:
- Court admissibility in all 50 states
- Facial recognition
- Tamper detection
- Easy-to-read Advanced Reporting™
Trust the Experts in Remote Alcohol Monitoring Technology™ to support the best interests of the child in your Family Law cases.